Rehabilitation of Leprosy Afflicted Persons
Rehabilitation of Leprosy Afflicted Persons (LAPs), a programme to rehabilitate the leprosy affected persons, was started in the year 1988 by Revered Swami Tapasyanandaji Maharaj. Our aim is to make sure that these people are integrated back into the society. We encouraged them to form 12 Self Help Groups with 130 members. Both financial and psychological support are provided to enable them to lead a normal life. General treatment by Dr. Chellammal and Dr. Jayakumar, Homeopathy physician to boost their immunity Eye camps were conducted in association with Sankara Netralaya. Ulcer treatment in association with Kings Institute of Research and Preventive Medicine & Central Leather Research Institute are regularly conducted.
The Road to Rehabilitation:
- About 200 persons were benefited by Cataract Surgery performed by the Shankar Nethralaya Eye Hospital.
- More than 300 LAPs have been registered with the Tamil Nadu Handicapped Welfare Board and they are receiving pension from the District Collectors of Chennai, Kancheepuram and Thiruvallur district.
- Free bus passes have been arranged for 40 LAPs.
- Udhavum Ullangal, a charitable organisation based in Chennai, is giving provision worth Rs.1500 per month to 13 LAPs who are unable to undertake any job.
- As the LAPs are often forced to change their residences in view of the antipathy of the owner, we have helped 10 members of the SHGs to get house allotment in Chemmanchery through the Tamil Nadu Slum Clearance Board.
- The LAPs are being given training to produce simple household items like soap powder, phenyl, teddy bear, manufacturing chains etc.,
- Sports meets are conducted for the LAPs and their family. They are also encouraged to participate in the sports meet being conducted by the Tamil Nadu Handicapped Federation.
- We are sponsoring the education of the children of LAPs.
Amnion and Collagen Therapy
Rehabilitation of LAPs
Sport events for LAPs
Yoga programmes for LAPs
Economic Rehabilitation programmes for LAPs
Medical check ups
Nara Narayana Seva
Tour and Pilgrimage programes for LAPs