Swami Ramakrishnananda, a monastic disciple of Sri Ramakrishna, was sent to South India by Swami Vivekananda to start the Ramakrishna Math in Madras. Swami Ramakrishnananda was deeply committed to the cause of educating the deprived sections of the society, especially women.
In order to raise funds for the school he walked from Chintadripet to George Town carrying a large wooden box in his hands, he would deposit the meager amount collected in school account in the local Post office. This wooden box is still preserved in the Mylapore Math. The School was given recognition in 1917 when India was under British rule. Swami’s initiative and sincere effort bore fruit in due course as this School grew in number of students and also as other schools started to educate girls and boys.
The school celebrated the 150th Jayanti (birthday) of School founder Swami Ramakrishnananda and the 107th year of School Day on 14-9-2012.
Currently, the School caters to around 500 boy and girl children from the under privileged sections of the society from the nearby locality.