Higher Secondary School
There were several requests from the people of North Madras locality during the years 1948-50 to start a high school mainly for girls. While initial attempts were without success, a plot of 8 grounds, where the school now exists, was purchased in due course and this school was started during the birth centenary of Swami Vivekananda, in 1962. In the first batch of Class VIII, seventeen girls studied in the Tamil medium section.
From that humble beginning, the school has now been upgraded to Higher Secondary Classes in Science and Commerce streams. Higher Secondary section was opened by Swami Gautamananda on 6th June 2008. Government grants are not extended to the higher secondary section. Therefore the Math bears the entire expenditure including the teacher’s salary to run this higher secondary section of the school.
The school is fully equipped with physics, chemistry and biology laboratories and a Math lab is being added now to aid all the students.
The school conducts free coaching classes, after the school working hours, for the students appearing for the board exams. Snacks are provided to the students who are attending these extra classes.