Youth marks the stage in life when self-consciousness dawns in the individual. It is the period when the three powers—of creativity, self-esteem and instincts—reach their highest development. Success comes to him or her who channelizes these powers properly and develops one’s self-consciousness to the maximum. VYF attempts to help youths achieve this through ‘self-conscious activity’ which, according to Swami Vivekananda, can bring us power, glory, goodness, and purity.
1. All men between 15 and 35 are eligible.
2. No membership fee, but regular attendance is mandatory.
3. This is almost a whole-day programme. Prayer, meditation, study of some aspects of our cultural heritage, study of Swami Vivekananda’s works, discussion on a some current issue, and a question-answer session.
1. Cleaning the Temple and the Math premises.
2. Conducting religious classes, games, yogasanas, tuition etc. for local impoverished children at Ramakrishnapuram, Mylapore.
3. A team regularly visits the Government Hospital, Royapettah, and serves the needy patients. This service of VYF has received appreciation from all quarters.
i. VYF members serve the patients of the cancer, chemotherapy, radiation, T.B., leprosy and isolation wards.
ii. They give counseling to instill faith in God at the time of suffering and also discuss personal hygiene issues and make the patients aware of
their ailments and treatment. They also dispel unnecessary fears of villagers regarding the diseases.
iii. They distribute books and back issues of magazines to help patients spend time in a prayerful way.
iv. They supply boiled soya beans to the patients as a supplementary diet. Prasad (offered food)
prepared at the Math is also distributed to the care-givers of patients.
4. Mobile Exhibition on the Life of Swami Vivekananda: A team of VYF volunteers visit schools located in remote villages around Chennai, like Madarapakkam, Guruvayal, etc, and also in Chennai once a month. They exhibit a kit of 40 paintings on the life and message of Swami Vivekananda to introduce Swami Vivekananda among the children and youth. They share Swami Vivekananda’s progressive ideas with the youth and also imprint on the young minds the idea that if Swamiji is installed as the living ideal in their lives, they can be assured of a glorious future. Books on Swamiji are sold at a reduced price.